Monday, June 27, 2011

We all desire a future.

It seems we all desire a better future, why? Possibly because we do not feel satisfied with our past and/or present. Now what is satisfaction but a feeling of internal, personal fulfilment right? So we are not fulfilled, we are not happy, then shall we change?
If we want a better future, we must change the present, because the future is inexistant and uncertain. We fear the future, it is unexpected, eternal, it is always past. I look into the future and soon enough I'm looking back at what I should have done, yet again though when I look into the past or the present I'm looking into the future and through the lenses I use to see this past I reach, grasp a future I will never hold. I look at the future not knowing what it is.
As I said before it doesn't exist. We cannot prove its existence because we cannot experience it, though we can hope to but not expect. I know the past existed and I know the present does, though it is always past. We could say that the present never actually exists and that the present is in fact more inexistant than the future. I can imagine the future but not the now, as what I think now is a late response to an interaction I cannot anticipate. The future is inexistant only in the sense that it is one, as it is in fact many. It is subjective. My future is my present, or is that past? My future is what I do now. It is built on my hopes and my desires. But that is my future, yours only belongs to you. This way there are many futures, but they end up converging at the point we call present and we experience it in the past.
If there are many futures, what will it look like? We cannot know, it is uncertain. Just as we cannot know how green the grass was in the past we cannot know it in the future. We imagine the past's grass green, as this is how we have experienced it. Likewise we can imagine the future grass green but this is only if on the one hand our perceptions of now are correct and on the other if this state of colour will not change. We can all imagine a state in which the grass is blue, but as this does not coincide with our experiences we conclude it will be green, but why and how greener?
Why do we expect or hope for a better future? Surely the future will only be what our past experiences will make of it. We can only imagine that with which we have played with in our minds or with our hands. Our thoughts can create new experiences but based on past ones, none come independantly out of the blue green. Well as our experiences are subjective, our futures are also subjective. This is why there are many, as the future time perceived dawns it converges into the shared reality of the status quo. However if many perceive, play, imagine and hope for a better status quo ante, moreover they stand by it or fight or act, the convergence will occur in a realm which is still quo, just different to the past status quo though based on it. If, by acting, we open up awareness of other futures to people, then we are helping to create a change in the present. If we desire a better future, we can only achieve it if we act, if not this future possible will slowly just become a piece of puzzle in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment