Monday, January 3, 2011

Climate change, more apparent in 2010.

I recently watched a video on the blizzards in New York and how quickly the snow mounted. It's amazing that in 24 hours the snow went from none to 7 or 8 feet. I only point this out because there's a comment that says "I guess that rules out global warming". Uhh, no. So many people still think like this? Excuse me but I think the Simpsons can give you a lesson because on one episode about ten years ago Homer says the same thing, Lisa dutyfully replies.
Of course global warming is really just a bad name for climate change. Temperatures get warmer in summer and colder in winter. Dry seasons become wet and wet seasons become dry. The planet has been messed up and some still think this isn't our fault. All I know is that the ozone layer didn't use to exist, and the temperatures and rainfalls and hurricanes and all have been going bonkers more and more. I'm sorry but this is a fact. 2010 has been both the hottest and coldest year on record.

I just thought I'd make a quick post on some of the worst climate disasters that have happened this year. I say climate because even though there have been more big earthquakes and a couple of big volcanoes that have made many suffer, I don't believe this has to do with us. Ancients would though, from many different cultures. They thought that mother nature worked as a single organism, I guess in a Pandora sort of way. The Avatar one, not the Greek one. Maybe plate tectonics also have to do with a (um...) biorythym of mother nature fashion. That climate change has to be fixed with a re-sync of all of the planets systems. Maybe, but this sounds like god-talk to me and nah.

Recently we've had on the one hand floods in Australia which would cover the size of entire European states and blizzards in the US (read at your own discretion, it's from FOX) and Europe. In Paris some were using skis to get to places and like always, in England people could not handle so much snow, maybe an inch or two sometimes, and stayed at home. Germans on the other hand make do. Albeit there were a few plane cancellations at the beginning of December.
A few months ago there were all the wildfires in Russia while a few hundred kilometres south people were being swept away by the torrential floods, in Pakistan.
In Kenia the dry season was too dry for too long in some reagions and totally inexistant in others, making animals confused. "We will adapt" I heard someone say. Yeah, we will but there are a couple too many humans and I don't think wildlife reserves will be the same without the wildlife...
The hurricane season was the second worst on record. And don't forget the spill, that giant oil one! I almost did.

All in all weather has been crazy. Here it's been getting too dry in summer meaning the resevoirs get drained to single digit percentages. If you've ever witnessed a dried up lake you'll agree it's a scary vision. The land all parched and literally only a trickle running through when the waters are normally rapid and dangerous. Water restrictions become the norm and if it doesn't rain in winter, like my region this year, we can't expect much good for the next. Spain is quickly turning into a desert. In terms of money and weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment